Our partnership with the Michigan State University Extension Program continues with the recent graduation of our Juntos class! Juntos, formerly known as Exito Educativo, translates as “all together”, which is exactly our goal…bringing families together to achieve their highest academic potential.
This invaluable program promotes academic success among Latino families. Meeting after school at Kelloggsville High School, this program brings Latino parents and their high school students together to better understand graduation requirements, the different sources of support, and the pathways to college in the United States.
The objectives of this program are to:
1. Discover academic potential and view higher education as attainable.
2. Increase awareness of academic requirements for high school graduation.
3. Promote parent awareness of school systems and modes of involvement in the schools.
4. Enhance awareness of admission requirements at colleges and universities.
5. Provide information on financial planning for a college education.
6. Promote career exploration among Latino students.
We are thrilled to be able to bring this class to the Latino families in our neighborhood at Kelloggsville High School. Due to the language barrier, we have discovered that many Latino parents are not adequately versed on the complexities of the US higher educational system or how to make it achievable for their children.
Dock Director, Craig Van Hill, along with Veronica Quintino, social worker with the Michigan State Extension Program, co-lead this important program and recently graduated their second class! We are honored to be able to serve our families in this way and give them the tools they need for success.
To God be the Glory!