Minutes of Classis Grand Rapids South – inSpirit CRC
October 12, 2017 6:30 p.m.
- Arrival. Upon arrival, the delegates presented their church’s credentials to the stated clerk, filled out name tags and picked up any materials not previously distributed. A copy of the Covenant for Officebearers was posted on the front table and all first time delegates, by their signatures, indicated their agreement.
- Worship. Rev. Randy Ledeboer read Philippians 2:1-5 and briefly commented on this passage. Seminarian Kurt De Vries led our opening prayer and the Worship Team from inSpirit Church led Classis in singing three songs.
- Roll Call. The stated clerk Ken Van Wyk called the roll:
Church Minister Elder Deacon
Alger Park Rev. Stephen De Wit Jack De Boer Deb De Voogt
Community Wilma Knoll Bill Heys
Covenant Rev. Curt Walters Dale Schut Bob Higgins
Cutlerville East Rev. William Renkema Joel Teft Bryan Baldwin
Discovery Rev. Paul Sausser Reed Baker Jill Jansen
First Cutlerville Gordon Van Singel
Hillside Community Rev. Ron Kool Ken Hiskes
Ideal Park Nick Bierema Dan Seif
inSpirit Rev. Randy Ledeboer Lisa Ledeboer John Huizenga
Kelloggsville Rev. Martin Benckhuysen Roger De Mann Brian Vander Meulen
LaGrave Rev. Ruth Boven Ken Gritter Joe Ponstein
Moline Rev. Jim De Zeeuw Chuck Tjepkema Jeremy Ludwig
Monroe Community Rev. Jim Boer Miranda Gardner
Providence Rev. Robert Boersma Jim Nammensma Ron Jansen
The Pier Rev. Wayne Ondersma Doug Helmholdt
Wayland Steve Oetman
- Declaration. Chairperson Bill Renkema declares that Classis is constituted and welcomes delegates, synodical deputies and guests. Ken Van Wyk will serve as recording clerk.
- Approval of Minutes. Motion is made to approve the minutes of June 15 and September 19 , 2017 Classis Meeting. Supported. Approved.
- Appointment of Committees:
- Committee to examine the credentials: Monroe Community
- Balloting committee: Moline
- New Business:
- Examination of candidate Arek O’Connell
- Rev. Ron Kool introduces Arek and his wife Jamie to Classis.
- Rev. Ruth Boven leads the examination in Practica. Motion is made to proceed to the next part of the exam. Supported. Approved.
- Rev. Jim De Zeeuw presents the report of sermon evaluators De Zeeuw and Ledeboer of Arek’s classical sermon on the assigned text of II Corinthians 5:17.
- Classis discussed the report of the sermon evaluators.
- Motion is made to proceed. Supported. Approved.
- Synodical deputies concur with this decision.
- Rev. Stephen De Wit leads the exam in Biblical and Theological
- Classis had opportunity to address questions to Arek.
- Chairperson Bill Renkema declares executive session.
- Motion is made to admit candidate Arek O’Connell into the Ministry of the Word and Sacraments in the Christian Reformed Church. Supported.
- Chairperson Renkema leads Classis in prayer asking for the leading of the Holy Spirit in our decision to be made.
- Synodical Deputies leave to prepare their report. Delegates vote by ballot.
- Classis approves the motion to admit candidate Arek O’Connell into the Ministry of Word and Sacraments. Synodical deputies concur.
- Chairperson Renkema informs Arek of the decision Classis has made, offers words of congratulation and encouragement and Classis joins in a time of prayer for Arek and Jamie. Classis congratulates the O’Connells
- Stated Clerk Ken Van Wyk presents a classical diploma to Arek.
- Date for ordination is tentatively set for November 5, 2017.
- Request from Immanuel CRC, Wyoming to disband according to Church Order Article 38 d.
- Church Visitors report on the sale of the church building and the pay off of the mortgage on the facility used by the DOCK and The Pier.
- At this time, the Classical Interim Committee is still waiting for a congregation that will agree to hold the ministerial credentials of Rev. Wayne Ondersma and supervise the ministry of The Pier. Because this decision has not yet been finalized, any action on the request to disband must be delayed until the January, 2018 meeting of Classis.
- Request from Kelloggsville and Rev. Laurie Zuverink that Rev. Zuverink be released from active ministerial service according to church order article 17 a.
- Pastor Martin Benckhuysen and Pastor Zuverink provide the background information.
- Motion is made to approve this request. Supported. Approved.
- Synodical deputies concur with this decision.
- Classis offers prayers for Pastor Laurie Zuverink and her desire to receive a call for another ministry opportunity.
- Speakers at Classis.
- Mr. Bill Paxton from Exalta Health distributes information and highlights the services they are providing.
- Reports of Classical Committees and Servants:
- Stated Clerk Ken Van Wyk reports on his work and activities since the May 18, 2017 meeting of Classis. Rev. George Vink will replace Ken as stated clerk beginning November 1.
- Classical Interim Committee – Paul Sausser reporting.
- CIC approved the honorable emeritation of Rev. David Adams by reason of age effective August 1, 2017. The ministerial credentials of Rev. Adams have been transferred to Kelloggsville. Rev. Ruth Boven leads Classis in prayer for David Adams.
- CIC makes the following motion: That Classis cover $2,000 of the $2139 lawyer costs to help Kelloggsville CRC’s cost of legal advice for this year’s Article 14 b matter.
Rational: The basis for this request is that the legal services that Kelloggsville received and paid for provided direction and advice that benefited the entire process related to the Article 14 b issue which ultimately was a Classis matter.
Motion is Supported. Approved.
- Co-chairs for Classis.
- Rev. Ron Kool has agreed to serve in this role.
- Classis selects Rev. Ruth Boven as the other co-chair.
- Classical Ministries – No report.
- New Church Development – No report.
- Spiritual Growth and Prayer – Laurie Zuverink reporting
- Laurie briefly shared part of her personal story
- Laurie highlighted the recent Pastors and spouses retreat.
- Laurie informed Classis that their team is available to assist others and walk alongside them in the joys and struggles of ministry.
- Established Church Development – No report.
- Classical Ministry Leadership Team – Stephen De Wit reporting
- Classis is providing financial assistance to four students. Brian Vander Bie from Kelloggsville was present to personally thank Classis for the financial support.
- Stephen led in prayer for these four students.
- Diaconal Committee – report by Chaplain Dan Wierenga.
- Chaplain Sunday is November 19, 2017.
- Several requests from area colleges for chaplains.
- Communications Coordinator – Daniel Maat
- Combined worship service at Cutlerville East on October 29 at 5 pm
- Always Reforming Devotionals available during this month of October.
- Prayer Coordinator – No report.
- Treasurer – No report.
- Finance Committee – No report.
- Church Visitors – No report.
- Church Counselors – No report.
- Mentor reports – No report.
- Regional pastors – No report.
- Committee to examine the credentials:
- At the request of Cutlerville East, a motion is made to grant honorable emeritation to Rev. William Renkema, by reason of age, effective April 23, 2018.
Words of thanks and a gift of appreciation were presented to Bill on behalf of Classis by Bob Boersma.
- At the request of Alger Park, a motion is made to appoint Rev. Ecko De Vries as their classical counselor. Supported. Approved.
- Reports of CRCNA Ministries:
- Resonate Global Missions – Rev. Amy Schenkel reporting
- Unification of Home Missions and World Missions became official on July 1.
- Rev. Zachary King is the newly appointed director.
- There are open positions to be filled in ministry settings.
- Great opportunities in campus ministries.
- World Renew – Harry Kuipers reporting.
- Disaster Response Services (DRS) Sunday is March 4, 2018.
- Volunteers are helping with clean up in Texas and working to assess needs in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico.
- 90% of financial gifts received go directly to meet the needs.
- There are many opportunities for volunteers and work projects. Contact email@example.com or call 800.848.5818
- Council of Delegates – No report.
- Calvin Theological Seminary – No report.
- Calvin College – No report.
- Back to God Ministries International – No report.
- Expression of Thanks. Bill Renkema thanks inSpirit for hosting our Classis meeting.
- Adjournment. Chairperson Bill Renkema offers a closing prayer and our meeting is adjourned.
Next meeting of Classis will be at Cutlerville East on Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 4 pm. Deadline for the agenda is December 15, 2017. Please send your materials to the new stated clerk Rev. George Vink at firstname.lastname@example.org
Synodical Deputies: Rev. Doug Fauble Classis Grandville
Rev. Mark Bennink Classis Georgetown
Rev. Paul De Vries Classis Thornapple Valley (Absent)
Paul had agreed to serve as a deputy but we learned he was attending the Council of Delegates meeting. With the approval of the other two deputies, we proceeded with our meeting.