Do You Understand?
March 8, 2023
I have tried to imagine what it would be like to have Jesus bend down before me like the lowliest of servants, gently lift my sin-encrusted foot, and wash it with the water of grace. I am breathless as His gentle nail-scarred hands touch me. Part of me wants to draw back because I feel so unworthy. Another part of me is like Peter wanting to be fully immersed in His cleansing love. Do I understand what He has done for me? No, I don’t. I try, but it’s too much for this finite mind to comprehend.
The full extent of His love compelled Him:
- To empty Himself and take on human form and come to earth as a baby.
- To live a sinless life in a world contaminated with sin, surrounded by people who didn’t understand Him.
- To Gethsemane where He was betrayed, abandoned and arrested.
- To endure the mocking voices of the Sanhedrin, the lies of the people, the condemnation, the blows of angry fists, and people spitting on Him.
- To stand before an angry crowd that demanded He be crucified.
- To suffer a flogging that left Him raw and bleeding.
- To tolerate the mocking derision of the Roman soldiers and the pain of thorns pressed into His skull, as other soldiers struck him in the head with a staff and spit on Him.
- To persevere as He carried the heavy cross through a jeering crowd that had just days before sang His praises.
- To travel the road to Golgotha where He hung on a cross like a common thief.
To accept in His person all the sins of humanity and provide atonement, forgiveness, redemption, restoration, and freedom.
Can I understand what He has done for me? No. His love is too deep. If fills me with awe and wonder. It makes me want to fall on my knees in full surrender and worship. It leaves me breathless with gratitude. It inspires me to live boldly and passionately for Him – the way He lived for us.
Prayer: Thank you for all you have done. Though we don’t fully understand, help us to live gratefully as servants of the Most High God. Amen.
Share this Devotional